01

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

How to Transform a Vintage Desk/Console into a Kitchen Island

Well this is one of my favourite projects of ALL TIME!! Sooo happy the results so I couldn't wait to share!!
I picked up this console table/ Desk at my local Restore for $25. It was in really good condition, made of solid oak. It came with a drawer that was easy to slide, a door with a magnetic close and a nice open shelving area. I had a transformation vision right away...
 We added real beadboard to both the sides and the door, added a thicker base and furniture legs for height. The hardware got switched out to match our current kitchen. We added stained rustic looking planks for the top of the counter. And finished the project by painting it all in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White.
The new island is thin enough to not overpower our kitchen. Plus it allows for added storage which we SO needed. The Cabinet holds our pots and the drawer holds all our cutting boards. The basket underneath holds potatoes and onions.
The Before pictures.. The original piece was a Sturdy Oak Base, Heavy with a Black top.

The Future Counter Top: Cedar wood planks cut to over hang ever so slightly on either end. We also cut the width of the planks so that four planks could fit the top perfectly and evenly.
The door.. Don't you just love my weights ;) sometimes you need to get creative.. we Glued the beadboard down with no more nails glue.
I filled the original hardware holes with wood filler and then sanded it. Once we painted the door you could never tell a handle was ever there. I added a Crystal knob to the top right side of the door to match with the rest of the kitchen.
We added Beadboard to the sides of the island and then added 1 1/2 inch wood trim around the sides of the beadboard base to create a more polished finished look. We finished the look by filling in any holes with caulking. Before we added wood planks as the counter top we evened out the counter base with thin wood pieces.  
This is a before picture .. of our Mistake.. we added legs to the current base and it didn't work out.. the legs looked as though they were floating in the middle and looked ridiculous .. So we had a thick piece of wood cut at the hardware store for a base and drilled it into the current base/island.. Then used a ton of caulking to make it look as one ;) Then finally added the four 6 inch legs on the outer corners.. and it was the perfect island height at 36 inches.
See how odd it looked.. Oppsie!! ;)
When we switched the legs ;)
Completed Island View
Painted in Old White Chalk Paint by Annie Sloan
I styled the island with a wood chalkboard which looks like a vintage bread board and layered it with a large black Cook Book about Chocolate..yum.. The Galvanized tin vase on top holds our Fall dried Hydrangeas.
We added a protective wax to the Stained Cedar wood planks to add durability to our counter top. 
The open shelving holds our woven place mats handmade in the Bahamas, a dip painted basket from Homesense housing our Potatoes and Onions and the bottle holder which is from Joss and Main.. The chicken wire bottle holder originally came with clear jars.. but I am currently using them elsewhere.. so Instead I found these adorable little Gingerale Bottles.. AND they fit perfectly.

Thanks for looking.. You can see our Full Kitchen Reveal Here

Shared post with:
The Shabby Nest - for Frugal Friday
Silver Pennies - Sundays Link Party
Home stories A to Z - Tutorials and Tips
Funky Junk Interiors - Salvaged Junk
Miss Mustard Seed - Furniture Feature Friday
Remodelaholic - December Link Party

Don't miss a post follow me by Email or Bloglovin
Linking to the HOST

14 comments:

  1. Oh MY Goodness! That is a fabulous project! I am very impressed. I love the beadboard, the wood plank top, the hardware and the legs! (I agree about the "floating" legs.) LOL This is an amazing transformation. I found your blog through a linky and will be poking around a bit tonight. I'm a DIY blog too, so I KNOW the work that gets put into transformations like this. All I can say is BRAVO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Val! :) You have put a huge smile on my face!! It was a lot of different steps to make this island happen..But in the end it was soooo worth it! I am so glad you found me.. have fun poking around ;)

      Delete
    2. OMG it turned out gorgeous !!! I love everything you did. doing a desk to island is on my to do list ... someday.

      Delete
    3. Love the transformation. The island turned out perfect and looks so much better now!

      Delete
    4. Thank you so much for your wonderful compliments! I appreciate you both for stopping by today.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea and perfect for small kitchen like mine. The beadboard, ASCP and dark top are so beautiful together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joselyn :) It's hard to find an island for a small kitchen.. This is a great alternative!!

      Delete
  3. I <3 your new island!!! Happy Holidays:) Pinned

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! That is an amazing transformation!!! I love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is a totally awesome after! great idea!
    b

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your great comments. Glad you stopped by today :)

    ReplyDelete