01

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Adding Wood Planks to our Kitchen Island

Since i'm on this whole planking kick..Today I thought I'd share just a quick post on how we 'casualized' .. not sure if that's a word?.. Our kitchen island! We had the kitchen island cabinets installed in dark wood BUT it's so NOT ME or our house for that matter.. My hubby wanted to keep it dark originally for a year or so..But I FINALLY convinced him to see my vision and he agreed painting it was the best choice for us.. It was just too darn red to go with our home and floors!! :( 

I wanted our island to be a huge centrepiece literally.. so we added faux doors on the side and big 8x10 posts on either side. We made the posts 'staggered' so they looked more like separate posts, more like a piece of furniture if you will!... Originally we were going to add faux doors to the front of the island where the stools are. But I didn't want too formal of a look. I also didn't want to spend all that money on extra 'faux doors'. In order to add detail and 'Casualize' the island for a more relaxed farm house/french country look we decided to add a wide tongue and groove panelling. Check out the  full transformation below...

Here is the BEFORE:



I just love how SIMPLE and FAST this was to do!! Overall it costs under $80 for everything!!

We purchased the Tongue and Groove primed MDF panels from RONA
The panels are 6" wide
Because they were 6" wide planks all we had to do was cut the wood to the proper height.. Then to apply them to the island we used construction adhesive, fast and no nail holes to fill ;)

Here is how it looked primed.. scary right? "Did we make a mistake??" was crossing my mind!! Of course I couldn't tell the hubby that! Don't worry it all works out.. Keep scrolling ;)
We finished off the island by painting it Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter
The counter top is 2 1/4" Mitered edge Quartzite-Granite in Fantasy Brown

The Counter Height Stools can be found HERE
The Ticking stripe Farmhouse Stool Cushions can be found HERE

You can see our Full Kitchen Reno Reveal HERE

Don't Miss a post... Follow me by Email or Bloglovin!

No comments:

Post a Comment