01

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Adding Ikea Billy Bookcases to flank a Window

I absolutely love the built in bookshelf look. We used it at our previous home too.. If you have approx 30 inches on either side of your window its like an 'ah-ha' moment.. I like the idea of real built-ins but these are the next best thing.. and in-expensive which is the best part! Another great idea is to add mouldings to the top of them for a real custom look. BUT I really like and NEED the extra display space on top so I  decided to leave them as is.. See how we achieved this look below...


The only two things I really changed on the Ikea Billy bookcases is I added Beadboard wallpaper as a backdrop and new door hardware. For handles we used Restoration Hardware Utility Latches in Chrome. 
For the backs of the bookcases I used some left over beadboard wallpaper from another project, I love the added detail beadboard gives. Another idea is you could also have real beadboard cut for the entire backer, which would probably make the bookcase even more sturdy.
It really gives a custom built in look by adding a bench or window seat in the middle of the bookcases.. for a fraction of the cost!!! I lucked out with this antique farm bench as it fits the spot perfectly..
We added more Bookcases behind her door for added storage to make use of thin space.
These are Billy Bookcases with full Glass doors.. which makes Dusting a breeze ;)
 
I will be posting the Full Nursery Reveal HERE with sources...

Don't Miss a post... Follow me by Email or Bloglovin!

No comments:

Post a Comment