01

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Vintage Secretary Desk Makeover

I have been wanting a vintage secretary desk for awhile now. I finally found this blue one on Kijiji online for $60. I bought it with the idea that I could use it in our kitchen to hide our laptop and keep an eye on the kids once they are bigger and want to be online etc. At first glance I thought the paint might be in condition but once I took a closer look, unfortunately it was a terrible paint job. I contemplated keeping it some sort of soft blue, but lets be honest I am a neutral girl at heart so I went with my go to Annie Sloan chalk paint in Antique white. See all the details below...

Sanding the desk writing area was a must. It had layers of old paint and engravings everywhere. Now its smooth and you would never know 'Michelle was here'. ;)
I kept a touch of blue by painting the letter divider section a soft blue in Annie Sloan Robin Egg blue. I like the subtle contrasting look of the blue and off-white together. 
 I ended up painting the desk with a total of 3 coats of Annie Sloan Old White chalk paint. I sealed the writing  area with Annie Sloan clear wax for added protection.  
 
I went back on forth on whether or not to keep the original hardware.. in the end,  I did. I actually liked the simple solid wood pulls, they were in great condition and once I painted the desk Old white the wood knobs really grew on me, They flow nice with the rest of the natural elements in our Kitchen decor.
I am very happy with how the desk all turned out.. Now it sits pretty under our open shelving in our kitchen. 

SHARED WITH:

Don't Miss a post... Follow me by Email or Bloglovin!

4 comments:

  1. Very pretty!! I love how you have decorated this corner- the desk, chair, shelf all look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your secretary is divine. My favorite part: the contrasting blue cubbies inside. It's the little details like that that really make a piece special.

    ReplyDelete