01

Thursday, November 20, 2014

French Provincial Chair Makeover

This amazing chair was another successful Kijiji find!.. I found 6 chairs plus a table.. for $60!! This has got to be one of my best DEALS yet!! I've been wanted cane back chairs for awhile now.. So I was super psyched when I found them. I love the detail on the chair.. and the quality and shape was impeccable! 
 The only drawback was it didn't mesh well with my fabulous ruffled slipcovers that I got for my other dining chairs.. The original plan was that I was going to replace the x-back chairs with the new cane back style. BUT the back of them doesn't accommodate the slipcover ties to tie a bow, and the seat size was a little too large.. so they didn't end up working! :( And you know I need my ruffles!!! So for that reason I will only be keeping 2 chairs for captain chairs. And will probably end up selling the rest.
The chairs have great bones and are well built.. sturdiness of vintage chairs is key!
I removed the fabric seat with my handy screw driver and started painting with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White. No primer required.. yay! It did take a while though.. I ended up applying 3 thin coats.. with a minimum of 1hr wait times in between..but the finished product was well worth it! It turned out to be a 2-day nap time project :)
The fabric seat cushion was actually in pretty great condition but the colour was a little too dark for the look I was going for.. So I covered it in this natural cotton Linen like material from Fabricland.
Now our new chairs flank the sides of our Dining Hutch.
 Wooden clover detailed mirrors hang above our new captains chairs.
If you missed it, you can see our FULL DINING ROOM REVEAL Here.
Shared with:
Miss Mustard Seed - Furniture Feature Friday
My Romantic Home - Show and Tell Friday

Don't Miss a post... Follow me by Email or Bloglovin!

4 comments: